By James Hind
Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) have issued advice following a blaze sparked by candles at a home in Rainham.
Fire crews attended the flat in Wakely Road, Rainham at 9.10pm last night after they received a call about a small blaze.
The home owner and her cats managed to escape without injury. Fire fighters were able to extinguish the blaze within half an hour using a hose reel jet, breathing apparatus, ventilation fans and a thermal imaging camera.
KFRS said: “If you plan on using candles to light or decorate your home, why not use LED candles, they are clean and far safer for use around pets and children.
“They even flicker like real candles but are completely flameless so a safer option for use anywhere in your home.”