Canterbury’s Northgate ward saw the highest number of ‘Theft From Motor Vehicle Offences’ in 2017.
A Freedom of Information request has revealed Canterbury’s vehicle crime hotspots – Northgate top the list with a total of 40 offences reported last year.
Blean Forrest is the safest place to leave your car with only two reports of thefts last year.
Detective Inspector Vicki Tyler from Kent Police said: “I am aware of an increase in reports of vehicle crime across the district and would urge anyone who has been a victim to come forward an report it via 101 or our online reporting tool.
There are steps that drivers can take to help deter thieves and reduce the risk of becoming a victim:
- Take all valuables with you when you leave your vehicle. Remember, sat navy marks on a windscreen or a bag or jacket left visible can attractive thieves.
- Remove the stereo if you can and never leave the keys in the ignition.
- Lock all doors and windows every time you leave your vehicle and if you’ve got an alarm or immobiliser, use it.
The Canterbury Hub spoke to Kent’s Police and Crime Commissioner about the statistics, see his response below:
Kent Police and Crime Commissioner’s response
Uploaded by The Canterbury Hub on 2018-05-17.
- If possible choose an area to park which is well lit and in view from passers-by.
- If you have a garage, keep your vehicle locked inside. Consider installing a garage alarm and security lighting to deter thieves.
- Consider having windows etched with the vehicle registration number.
- Encourage neighbours to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity.”