The story behind Canterbury’s Lady Wootton’s Green statues

Lady Wootton Green in Canterbury has lovely scenery of greenery, flowers and a bench for you to sit and relax. Just opposite the is the Canterbury Cathedral wall and St. Augustine Abbey.

The Lady Wootton’s Green is one of the only houses that survived the bombing raids in 1942.

In Lady Wootton are two extraordinary statues of the Married couple Queen Bertha and King Ethelbert from the Anglo- Saxons .

There is a story behind these two statues. King Ethelbert provided stability and money for England and had a mission to convert the Anglo-Saxons into Roman Christianity. His plan was successful and the new religion emerged under him and Queen Bertha’s leadership.

The statue is there to honour them for the turning point they brought to Kent to become an English speaking Christian civilisation which allowed their empire to spread worldwide .

Queen Bertha is wearing garments that were found in the tomb at St Denis,  Paris of Queen Arnegunde.

She has on a long gown with embodied thread, stockings and thin slippers .

The jewellery that she is wearing is an anglo Saxon gold necklace and ring accompanied by some other Anglo Saxon jewellery accessorises.

This is also an open space,  named after a woman called Margaret Wootton – Her home was in St August Palace until she died in 1658.

This is near the Canterbury city centre which is only a 10 minute walk away.

Featured Image: Finta Sanou